Sunday, May 19, 2013

Growing


A new beginning. A new season. A new project. What ever you want to call it, its new and its exciting!


I am trying my "green thumb" out this year. I have grown up around gardens, but never did much of it myself. I have a few vague memories about planting spinach and then eating it but I don't remember anything between the two. I also vividly remember trying to grow an African Violet in my room a few years ago and successfully killing it. So hey, why not try my hand at a bunch of plants at once!

I have a plot in a community garden at one of the local libraries. Originally I was told it was a 10' by 10' raised bed. I signed up for this plot about the middle of March. I spent the rest of March and April planning and had my plot "plotted" out. I have a long list of vegetables, and a few flowers to grow, and I still couldn't fill the whole 100 square feet! (I am try the square foot gardening technique, more on that later). So imagine my surprise, and dismay, when I arrived on Tuesday to start marking my square foot blocks out to find that the plot is actually 11' by 11'! Another 22 square feet to fill? Oh my! 

Armed with seeds and transplants, I am slowing filling my plot.


My "Salad Bar"
Growing in this corner: 2 tomato plants, 2 cucumber seeds, 2 eggplants, 2 cabbage plants, 2 bell pepper plants, 2 jalapeno plants, 16 carrot seeds, 9 beet seeds, 4 spinach seeds, 4 marigold seeds, 2 different types of lettuce (4 seeds each), 16 radish seeds, and 4 parsley seeds.

Here I have 2 watermelon seeds, and along the bottom I planted the whole package (accidentally) of asylums. 


Meet "The Three Sisters"
In the bottom of this picture I have 4 corn seeds, 4 bean seeds, and 4 summer squash seeds growing (hopefully). Along the left side, I planted a couple black Holly Hock plants, then in front of them I planted 8 pea seeds. 

The top half of my garden 

Since I can't always be at my garden watching the progress, I got this little guy to cover for me

I still have most of the bottom half to fill in. Stay tuned.....




1 comment:

  1. Love the gnome guy - makes me think of that song, "my only worry is the tide gonna reach my chair" (or something like that...)I will stay tuned - lots of new beginnings, growth, and see what you stitch up.

    ReplyDelete